History of coccyx fracture. Now experiencing pain on tail bone. Should I be worried?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was 25 and jumped out of a plane (with parachute) on skydiving dare. I missed drop zone and hit the ground directly on my bottom..pretty hard and was told after an xray that I'd fractured my coccyx. It all healed I guess. I'm now 61 and have recently been having return tailbone pain. Not excruciating but I feel it when I sit, slouch in a soft chair or tighten rectal muscles. It went away a few weeks ago and is back again Should I be worried? Or is it an old war wound that will come up from time to time?
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

You are suffering from coccydynia- inflammation of the bony area (tailbone or coccyx). It is common after having injury to coccyx.

Do not worry,follow the following measures.It will help to reduce your pain and also decreases the further episodes of coccyx pain.

1.Use a well-padded seat when sitting and avoid long periods of sitting when possible.
2.Do sitz bath- take warm water in a tub and sit in this.It will relax the muscles around the coccyx.
3.Do exercises that will strengthen your tailbone's supporting muscles and stretch ligaments near the pain. Consult a physiotherapist for this. Therapists may perform a combination of:
Levator ani massage and Levator ani stretching. It will strong your muscles around your coccyx and reduces your further episodes.
4.Correct your posture. Poor posture may be contributing to your tailbone pain. Try to sit upright. If you get a sharp pain when getting up from a sitting position, lean forward and arch your back before rising.
5.You can take anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
6.Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.