History of chiari decompression. Having migraines and throbbing sensation. Should I be concerned?

Nov 2013

In 2005 I had chiari decompression. This included a bovine patch and shrinkage of tonsils. Recently, my "migraines" are increasing in severity. I feel like my head will explode out the top or the base. I also have a throbbing sensation that is in time with my heartbeat. It comes and goes and moves from base of spine to base of skull. Should I be concerned something is happening related to chiari?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 17 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your current symptoms are not related to Chiari malformation or its surgery. Most likely, these symptoms are due to an unrelated aggravation of migraines. You may benefit from preventive migraine therapy with medications such as topiramate, beta blockers or divalproex. You should get better with above treatment. If symptoms persist or increase in severity, then, you can consult a neurologist, and an MRI of brain with cranio-vertebral junction may be required. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: