History of chest pain. Had collapsed lung. Experiencing headache. Is this related to chest pain?

Jan 2013

I have had a history of chest pain before but my current doctor doesn't seem to think it's a concern because usually there are large gaps in time in which my chest feels fine. I have been having chest pains again though I don't know the right words to describe the pain. Sometimes it is brought up by laughing or just sitting still. I had a collapsed lung when I was younger. I have also been experiencing headaches and I wonder if the headaches could be related to the chest pain.
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later

Chest pain may originate from lungs / heart / esophagus / chest muscles / bones and cartilages (costochondritis) / skin. The following details can give us clues of the origin of pain:

1. Do you have fever / cough with sputum / breathlessness? - It indicates lung involvement.

2. Do you have squeezing sensation / sweating / breathlessness on lying position? - It indicates heart disease.

3. Do you have food impaction / choking feeling / pain during swallowing / indigestion / nausea / vomiting / abdominal pain? - It indicates food pipe (Esophagus) involvement.

4. If you have tender areas on chest wall / pain aggravated with breathing / movement - there may be possibilities of costochondritis or muscle involvement.

As you have history of collapsed lung, there may be possibility of pleural thickening at affected site causing the pain. Consulting a physician / chest physician is in order. Other conditions such as muscle cramps or esophageal spasm also need to be ruled out. Your physician can order for chest X-ray, EKG, CPK-MB for muscle etiology, endoscopy for esphageal disease to rule out few of the aforementioned conditions.

The problem doesn't seem to be concerning / life threatening disease to me as they have other symptoms also. So do not worry. Visit your physician.

Headache appears to be a separate entity and not related with chest pain.

Hope this answers your query. Put your views / concerns should you have any.

Take care,
Dr.Mayank Bhargava