History of bulimia, significantly lessened. Can I go ahead with breast augmentation?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
I have a history of bulimia for the past 5 years. Over the past 2 years it's significantly lessened, with about 2 binge/purge incidents in the past 6 months. I'm scheduled to have breast augmentation surgery this week, and my bloodwork came out fine. I haven't mentioned anything to my doctor my eating disorder past because I'm ashamed. Will I have risks in anesthesia? I am very active and healthy--130 lbs, 5'5", 26 years old.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Eating Disorders

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 57 minutes later
Hello.

There is nothing to be ashamed of in front of your doctor. In any surgery however minor, you must provide the doctor with your complete medical and personal history.

Bulimia is chronic illness which may cause certain physiological changes in your body related to to fluid and electrolyte imbalance and hormonal imbalance. The anaesthetic definitely needs to be informed prior to the surgery about it, so that he can take necessary precautions.

In your case, the risk of anaesthetic complications might be less since your illness is well controlled and blood tests are normal.

Nevertheless, you should have a XXXXXXX discussion with your doctor and its just like any other illness for doctors and you need not be ashamed of it.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: History of bulimia, significantly lessened. Can I go ahead with breast augmentation? 50 minutes later
Thank you so much for your response.

I already had the pre-operative appointment almost 2 weeks ago, and my surgery is in 3 days. Should I call the office and let the doctor know? Or just tell the anesthesiologist the morning of the surgery?

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks for the follow up.

Either of the two would do, but I would advise you call up and inform today, as they might decide to make some investigations or reevaluate you.

There is a possibility that they have already investigated you thoroughly and you may not need to for anything new.

But to be on the safer side, the earlier, is the better.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.

Wish you good health.

Regards.