History of atrial fibrillation and got treated but again having symptoms. On Victoza and have high pulse rate

I have a history of atrial fibrillation. I was treated for it 6 years ago and have had no symptoms until one month ago. I now seem to be continually in a-fib.
I have been on Victoza for about six months. I woke up last month with a pulse rate of 170.
Could the Victoza be causing the rapid heart rate and a-fib?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see details

Detailed Answer:
Respected Sir
1. Except for one patient, reported in one of the trials published in by International journal of obesity {International Journal of Obesity (2012) 36, 843–854} I could not find any reference in literature which suggests that Liraglutide (victoza) is associated with AF. Even with this single case, we can not establish a cause and effect relationship. This may be purely coincidental. Neither the pharmacology texts nor manufacturer's brochure mention so.
2. Since you have undergone bypass surgery and also have high blood pressure, sleep apnea and diabetes, the AF can be attributed to them rather than the drug. All these 3 conditions are well known to be associated with AF.
3. Please consult your treating cardiologist , Who will assess all the factors which can cause AF and will take a call regarding Victoza.
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.