History of anxiety, endometriosis and bladder cystitis. Noticed blood in stool. What is going on?

General Surgeon
I have a history of anxiety, endometriosis, guttare psiriosis, bladder cystitis and pelvic floor disfunction. Ten years ago I was diagnosed with hemmroids/anal fissure. Last April I was diagnosed with gastritis caused by overuse of Advil. That is all cleared up now. Over the summer I noticed that my stools were wetter and heavier.

When I had my check up with my GI doc told him my stomach was perfect now. I mentioned that my stools were wetter and heavier sometimes and that once there was blood in my stool. [I had gone running without going to the bathroom and the blood was on top of the stool after that.] He did a rectal exam and a quick test for blood on stool. He found microscopic blood on my stool and said he didn't feel any hemmroids.

I scheduled a colonoscopy, even though I have no history of colon illness in family.
The only medicine I take is Beyaz.

Ever since my appointment last week I have been very stressed about the colonoscopy. I have been having thinner stools and my anal area is oily. Feels like something is leaky back there. Never had these symptoms until I had my appointment with the doctor last week.

What do you think is going on?
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

First of all something about hemorrhoids diagnosis. When a doctor makes rectal examinations and says that he cannot feel hemorrhoids it does not mean that you don`t have them. Hemorrhoids can be palpated only when there is an inflammation process or some thrombosis. It can be also seen in stage III and IV only. In all other cases a doctor without additional examinations (like colonoscopy) is not able to tell either you have hemorrhoids or not. Moreover, if you have a hemorrhoids/fissure history, and there was no surgery performed, it is very probable that this hemorrhoids are still there.
If the blood in stool appears and it is a fresh (bright red), not mixed with stool blood in most cases it comes from hemorrhoids. Anal fissure gives very strong pain during passing stool.
Wet stools can be caused by stress and stress related IBS, pancreas disease, some polyps in large intestine. In some cases such symptoms can give also colon cancer. However, colon cancer is the less often disease from all mentioned. Your doctor scheduled you for colonoscopy to make sure that this is not the cancer.
In my opinion colonoscopy will reveal hemorrhoids and your symptoms are caused by stress only. But it has to be done just to make sure.
It is also advisable in your case (wet stools) to have blood work with pancreas enzymes to make sure that the problem is not in pancreas.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.