History of anxiety. Why am I feeling lightheaded, heart palpitation and not getting proper sleep?

Mar 2016

feeling awful- no sllephi I have had broken sleep for a while but the night before last I managed only 45 minutes sleep in total. last night I sleep from around 11 until three andbthe n had very broken sleep. I am light headed, feel sick, no appetite. yesterday I was crying most of the day for no reason. I do have a history of anxiety. I feel like there is something wrong with my heart and every time I drop off to sleep I am jerked awake with the feeling that I have skipped heart beats. I also have a strange hollow feeling underneath my left breast that's uncomfortable. please help me
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

You seem to probably have a history of anxiety and suffer from sleep disorder with palpitation for several days. You have also breast discomfort on the left side.

There are several reasons and need to rule out specifically like

1) Hormonal disorder including thyroid disturbance mainly hyperthyroidism, Menstrual disturbance and during menopause.
2) Fear, stress, emotional upset, relation breaking, loneliness, some sort of depression
3) Withdrawal effect/adverse effect of any medication, if you used long time.
4) Neurological disease/head trauma previously, some food stuff and older age etc.

You may require basic investigations to rule out any underlying pathology like Thyroid profile, Blood estrogen/progesterone level, ECG/EEG, PPBS, Serum electrolyte level, Eye examination (power/Refraction test) and mammography (if age more than 40 yrs) for complete evaluation.

After that consult with your Psychiatrist and take suggestive measures. You may need Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and it is superior to use of sleeping pills.

Do following things to get rid of symptoms and for prevention like:

1) Maintain sleep schedule and fixed a time for going to bed & awaking.
2) Avoid hot drink/coffee at least 8 hours before sleep.
3) Avoid stress by doing regular XXXXXXX breathing/yoga with light exercise.
4) Habit to read various interesting books/see movies to reduce bad thinking.
5) Maintain sleep hygiene & use bed only for sleep/sexual activity & nothing else.
6) Control body weight/avoid fatty food/check BP periodically.
7) Eat more XXXXXXX vegetables/fruits and drink lots of water.
8) Use tight breast support and Prime XXXXXXX capsule daily to reduce breast symptoms. Also maintain personal hygiene.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you better health.

Thanking you.