History of anemia, asthma, hypertension. CT scan normal. Treatment for shortness of breath, chest tightness

History of VTE , anemia,Asthma and hypertension. Having increased episodes of shortness of breath and chest tightness. Cleared of current PE by a CT scan. Doctor encouraging rest but not much else and follow up tests for Iron levels again. Have had an Iron infusion and been on Iron tablets for 7 months with no improvement. Any suggestions.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 4 hours later
Dear Madam,
Thanks for your query to health care magic.
We have ruled out pulmonary embolism. How much is your latest Hemoglobin levels. Because if it is more than 10gm/dl then it is unlikely to be the cause of your shortness of breath.
Tell me about your asthma. What medications are you on?
Because common cause of breathlessness at rest and chest tightness especially during night is asthma.
Have they done any pulmonary function tests recently to know the level of control?
Because if your asthma is not under control, increasing the medications will help in improving chest tightness and shortness of breath.
Please provide me more information about your asthma control and latest hemoglobin levels so that I will be able to suggest you regarding further management.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami MD