History of allergy and asthma. Will nasacort and corticosteroid can negatively impact fertility?

Infertility Specialist

When I was a kid I had both allergies and asthma. I was prescribed with a medication schedule that included an inhaler and nasacort. Luckily, I out grew asthma as a child and I only use nasacort and claritin to manage my allergies. I am curious if nasacort, a corticosteroid, can negatively impact male fertility. I need nasacort 6-10 months out of the year and I deliver two sprays per nostril. I know steroids that athletes take can cause issues but I have never used that. Also, since nasacort is a local deliver and not systemic I think the risks are low. However, I would really appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 minutes later

I understand your concerns.

Following are my suggestions / reply for your query:

1) Nasocort will not cause any impairment of fertility in you. Be relaxed & not to worry about it.

2) If you are still very much worried about the problem, I suggest you get a test called “Semen Analysis”. This test will help you in reducing mental stress in you and you can be at peace.

You can continue nasocort without worrying.

I hope I answered your query. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility specialist.
Follow-up: History of allergy and asthma. Will nasacort and corticosteroid can negatively impact fertility? 9 minutes later
What makes nasacort different from other corticosteroids/steroids. I hear they can cause it so why does nasacort not?

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 minutes later

Thanks for reply.

I am afraid you have some wrong information about steroids. Majority of steroids does not affect male fertility.

Nasacort is different in its pharmacological structure and properties, which make it safer and effective medication. There are several steroids, which have different action. It is the pharmacological variation.

I suggest you be relaxed, as your medication will not affect your fertility.

I hope I answered your query.

Dr. Mahesh koregol