History of Ulcerative Colitis, Colon Cancer, Gallbladder disease with multiple stones. Having constant pelvic pain with nausea. Concerned?

General Surgeon
Question

I am a 49 year old female, history of Ulcerative Colitis, Colon Cancer, Gallbladder disease with multiple stones. Have had my large colon and over 1/3rd of my small colon removed. Having constant abdo/pelvic pain with nausea. Bloodwork shows elevated liver enzymes and multiple phleboliths. Should I be concerned.
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs further investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

I do understand your concern after going through so many major surgeries. You have not mentioned the details of your liver function report. But based on your history of getting nausea and constant pelvic scan, if I were your treating doctor, I would advise you for a CT/MRI scan of your abdomen to be sure that there is no spread of your primary disease to any other intra-abdomnal organs specially the liver. Further management would depend on the reports.

On the phleboliths, I may say that this is not an uncommon finding specially in women which may be benign lesions and nothing much might have to be done. However in your case, considering your past history I would also hint to the radiologist to give equal attention to the phleboliths while examining the CT/MRI scan.

I hope this information will help you in discussing with your doctor and deciding on further course of action. Till then, you can go for an anti emetic agent, along with a proton pump inhibitor and a probiotic agent till you are further investigated.

Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX for your health query. Good luck and take care. Dr Shareef.