History of PE and acute promyelocytic leukemia. Have blood in mouth, coughing blood, headache. Should I go to ER?

Hello I have been waking up two days now with mouth in my blood. The first day it wasn't dried and it was a small amount just thought I might have hurt myself in my sleep or my son who 2yr hit me to hard to wake me up. But this morning I woke up by myself and my mouth was full I blood and ended up coughing up alot of blood and my head been hurting bad. I am 24yr female with a history of PE's and Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia am in remission for the last 1yr and half. Cant seem to get a doc appt with my reg or specalist (1month to any appts) doctors in any timely fashion. Am I over reacting or should I go to urgent or ER, even though I don't like either choice?
I have been taking azithromycin tablets for 3 days due to the doctors saying I may have bronchitis. Could it be a side effect of the medicine?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I am very concerned about the fact that you're having bleeding in your mouth. This could indicate a low platelet count or some problem with your normal coregulation.

In light of your history I recommend that you do proceed to a local urgent care center or emergency room for immediate evaluation and laboratory examination.

I don't think there is any reason why the Zithromax would be affecting your blood count or causing any bleeding at this time.

Again I really think the best thing for you to do is to visit a local hospital for evaluation.

Dr. Galamaga