History of MVP with dysautonomia, thyroid nodules, lyme exposure. Unable to sleep. Taking losartan. What can cause low heart rate?

im 61 female. history of mvp with dysautonomia, thyroid nodules, lyme exposure. heart rate was 52 on ekg. have had hard time goin sleep. couldnt go sleep last nite cause heart would pause and wake me up. take 25 mg losartan. 1/2 0.5 klonopin twice a day. was taking flonase and zyrtec. multi vitabin with methl b12. what can cause low heart rate?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need evaluation...

Detailed Answer:

Heart rate of 52 may or may not be normal. But since you also had symptoms of heart pause and disturbed, it is likely to be an abnormal event. Clinically most times it is impossible to identify the reason for a low heart rate.

My first suspicion is toward dysautonomia - autonomic changes can lower heart rate. Besides dysautonomia other less likely possibilities include underactive thyroid or related to mitral valve prolapse. Further yesterday's events may be independent to your previous medical illness and brought about by electrolyte abnormalities or a fresh heart rhythm abnormality.

Last night EKG could contain clues as to what went wrong. I think that would be your first step now. If EKG doesn't reveal significant abnormality, it is time to see a cardiologist and plan for complete set of investigation such as echocardiogram, thyroid profile, hemogram and a holter study.

Stay relaxed and talk to your cardiologist's office.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.