History of IBS. Having severe pain on right side. Taking immodium for diarrhea. Help?

Hello Dr. Grief, I am a 74 year old female with a history of IBS of 14 years. After thinking I was making some progress, I had my first incontinence episode accompanied by a severe pain in the right side.. Now I am feeling that I don't want to go anywhere. I have a special trip coming up to attend a family baptism and the thoughts of going are scary. My daughter seems to think the episode could have been caused by my eating crème brulee and drinking coffee. The episode happened about an hour or so after eating this. Could this have caused the incontinence? And how do I decide whether to go on my trip on not. I take immodium for diahrea Thanks .
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. David Okia 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, creme brulee and coffee caused the problem

Detailed Answer:

Based on my experience with patients who have irritable bowel syndrome, I usually tell them to avoid dairy products, fried food, caffeine, fatty food, carbonated drinks and gassy food like beans. Most of them who follow my advice are doing well, with no complains.

You can go for trip but avoid the above while on trip. Hope I answered your question, will be happy to help you if you have other queries.
Follow-up: History of IBS. Having severe pain on right side. Taking immodium for diarrhea. Help? 4 hours later
Thank you Dr. Okia for your answer. I would like to ask about some other foods. For example, I have never known if decaffeinated coffee is OK to drink. And what is your opinion about gluten and sugar? Thanks again. I feel confident now that I can make the trip.
Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
decaffeinated coffee is okey

Detailed Answer:
thanks for your question.
Decaffeinated coffee is okey.
About sugar and gluten I would say 80 percent of my patient have no complains when they consume it however 20 percent have abdominal pain when they consume sugar containing food. I would advice you try consuming sugar and gluten if your irritable bowel syndrome does not worsen continue, if you have abdominal pain avoid. Hope I answered your question.