History of Atrial Fibrillation, diabetes, high blood sugar, weakness, loss of energy, on warf, Other treatment?

My mother is 65 yrs old 125 pounds, She has history of Atrial Fibriliation and diabetes
My mother has Afib and high blood sugar. She feels weak and loss of energy. She is taking Warf
I would like to know how to control her diabetes and help her for healthy living.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum.

Thanks for the Query.

Her symptoms are due to Uncontrolled Diabetes and Atrial Fibrillation.

I Would like to know few things here which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Since how long is known to have diabetes?
2.) When was Atrial Fibrillation diagnosed?
3.) What is her recent Blood Sugar reading?

Kindly get her examined by a Cardiologist and a Diabetologist, who shall do a Physical examination and run few tests and Blood work to know the severity of her condition.

Treatment for atrial fibrillation includes medications and other interventions to try to alter her heart's electrical system, either Medically or surgically, her treating Doctor will know better and treatment of Diabetes includes medications or insulin therapy to manage her blood sugar.

In addition to this, she will have to bring in some lifestyle changes:
1.) She should be eating healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) She should be avoiding high calorie foods
3.) Limit her daily salt intake to 1500mg per day
4.) Let her exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes, her treating doctor would be able to explain her which one suits her better
5.) She should be avoiding smoking and drinking if she does
6.) Schedule her for regular eye and dental health check up
7.) Let her take care of her feet especially while going out and trimming her toe nails
8.) She should be avoiding stress, let her Practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation
9.) Finally, she should be sticking to her treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Hope i have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

I Wish her Good Health.

Take Care.