Hip surgeries and pelvic reconstruction done. How long does it take to heal broken femur?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a broken femur above my replaced knee about 3" and no healing has occurred for 6 months.
There is plate holding the 2 sections together. I fell when I tripped and fell backwards and my right leg almost
doubled. the leg also had 2 hip surgeries and pelvic reconstruction.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

You might be having delayed-union/non-union. Non union is a delayed complication of fracture it means absence of union. A bone can be labeled as in non union only when the union has not occured in the bone even after passage of sufficient time. Fractures of shaft of long bone should not be considered nonunion until at least 6 months post injury.

There is a long list of causes of non union. These are patient related like age, injury and you are also osteoporotic.

On average it takes 3-6 months for a broken femur to heal. The rate of recovery depends strongly on how serious the injury is and how healthy a person is.

For broken femur, it is recommended that you schedule follow-up visits with your surgeon or health care provider at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.