Hip pain especially at night, diagnosed with spot on pelvic bone. What does it indicate?

I have been having pain in my right hip especially at night. My doctor's office just called and said I have a "spot" on my pelvic bone and need more xrays. Now I can't think of anything else but that I am dying of cancer or something. Can you tell me what a spot on my pelvic bone could mean?

Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

Since its a spot which they have noticed, I suspect the pain you have could be due to the spot which could be an abscess seen commonly in flat bones around the hip joint.

There is no need to worry, usually such abscess are due to infections and a well formulated course of antibiotics would treat the infection without any complications.

Though there are chances of the lesion to be due to cancer, there will be associated clinical features like loss of appetite, weight loss, increased fatigue etc.

Do get Xrays with better view and a CT scan to find out the exact nature of the spot to determine the cause.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.