Hip bone catching when moving leg sideways, no pain. New to kickboxing

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am able to move my leg forward and backwards with little discomfort (although some exists); however, when I try to extend it sideways for kicks (or even for a spin kick) it feels like my hip bone is "catching" in the socket and prohibiting it from rotating properly. It does not feel like its a flexibility issue as my muscles do not feel like they are stretching or hurting at all. I am new to kickboxing and I have not injured my legs in any way.

Additional Details
** It feels like it catches when doing a split horizontal as well.**

Its on the outer side of my hips below my waist where the hip bone connects to the socket. I have no pain in my thigh muscles, just in the socket.

Thanks in advance!
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

The feeling of catching of hip bone in the socket specially on side ways movement without any muscle soreness or history of injury is likely to be due to trochanteric bursitis. It is an inflammation of the bursa over the outside of the hip joint.

The second possible cause is hip labral tear. The labrum of the hip is a cuff of thick tissue that surrounds the hip socket. The labrum helps to support the hip joint. When a labral tear of the hip occurs, a piece of this tissue can become pinched in the joint causing pain and catching sensations. Excessive stress and strain of hip joint can cause this tear.

The exact diagnosis can be made after investigations like MRI of the hip joint. Both these conditions may be associated with pain but in the initial stages, pain may be absent.

In some individuals this might be a normal finding due to a slightly shallow socket of the hip joint. But it is better to get yourself investigated under the guidance of your orthopedician to find out any possible pathology early.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.