Himalayan Shilajit Mumiyo Mineral Pitch Asphalt. Can this cause any type of infection?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I bought shilajit online from India, this is the description: Himalayan Shilajit Mumiyo Mineral Pitch Asphalt(Premium Quality) 50Gms. What I would like to know if this can cause any type of infection. I took it only once, 4 days ago and the next morning I went to the bathroom and had blood in the toilet. I didn't woory me too much because my stool was hard and I just thought I was constipated. Anyway, it has been 3 days with bloody stool and It does not seem like it is getting better.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
It cant cause or increase the risk of any infections including enterocolitis,but infections are not most common cause of blood in stool.
Shilajit even usually cause loose stools,but other side effects are not reported.
However, this is not something worrying since constipation may cause prolonged blood in stool and other causes are benign too such as henorrhoids, fissures, poylps or andgiodyspasies.
rarely,it can be sign of something more serious such as cancer or ulcerative colitis but this is the last thing to think to considering your age and symptoms.
Entercolitis can cause blood in stool but it would be associated with diarrhea and fever.
So,at this point you just need to watch your diet, take stool softeners, eat high fibre food, drink plenty of fluids and have sitz baths. If blood is still there after several days,you should do red blood count and rectoscopy. wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: Himalayan Shilajit Mumiyo Mineral Pitch Asphalt. Can this cause any type of infection? 12 minutes later

Coincidentally, I went to the doctor for a check up 3 days ago, when I first notice the blood but I did not mention it to my doctor because of the reasons I stated before. He is doing blood work and I will get the results probably next week. My big concern is some type of cancer. I have no pain, only a little discomfort in my stomach but I can eat well and my anus is a little irritated but I think is because of going to the restroom frequently to check if it is getting better, I also feel like if I am coming down with something, like when you are getting sick but I dont have a fever. Could the shilajit cause the constipation?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Yes it can.But it is still questionable is this blood caused by hard stools or something else. Red blood count will reveal how serious all it is,but as I said,you should not worry at this point as this will probbaly be caused by constipation,some small hemorrhoids or anal fisure.
If fever occur and dierrhea after it,then it indiactes inefctious enterocolitis.
it would also be advisable to see will sool stabilize after you stop taking shilajt.