Highly allergic to hydrochlorothiazide. Having severe back pain. Proper medication?

Oncologist, Radiation
I am highly allergic to hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg and my doctor has now prescribed oxycodone 5 mg are the ingredients the same in both these drugs I have severe back pain and want to make sure that I won't have a reaction to the new drug also, the doctors are having a hard time finding a pulse in my feet
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 38 minutes later

You are suffering from chronic low back pain.
There are many causes of chronic back pain.

Back pain may be due to lumber disk disease, degenerative condition, spondylosis, also osteoporosis.

Proper clinical examination is necessary to clinch the diagnosis.

Your neurological examination should be done carefully to detect any neural deficit.

In case of no neurological finding by clinical assessment, NCV/EMG test can be done.

Next investigation of choice would be MRI. You should consult your neurologist.

Now to answer your specific query I would like to mention that hydrochlorthiazide is drug containing sulfur. (Formula: C7H8ClN3O4S2 )

Sulfur allergy is commonly seen in many patients.

But oxycodon is an opioid. (Formula: C18H21NO4)

It has no sulfur molecule. Therefore, you can safely take this drug. It will not cause reaction to you like the previous drug.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up.