Higher heart rate, no stress, unable to sleep. Causes and treatment for high pulse rate?

I can't sleep the last two nights well due to a somewhat higher heart rate. It isn't pounding or anything but it prevents me from falling asleep. Everytime
I get close to sleeping it wakes me back up.

There isn't any particular stressful situation that is bothering me.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 1 hour later

Thank you for posting in your query.

I gather from your query that you have been experiencing a higher heart rate for the last 2 days and that it is bothering you as you go to sleep.

You have mentioned that you took Afrin and Advil in the recent past.

Afrin contains Oxymetazoline (Decongestant) and Advil contains Ibuprofen (Pain killer).

Both drugs are known to cause a higher heart rate as a side effect.

Following are my suggestions:
1. To immediately stop these medications.
2. Visit your ECG (Electro-cardiogram) done and reviewed.
3. Also getting a blood pressure check would be very useful.

Hope I have answered your query. Do revert to me if you have any further questions. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.