High thyroid levels, low calcium, high cholesterol. Hyper or hypo thyroid ?

I was recently told by my dr that my thyroid levels were high, calcium was low and cholersterol was high i am waiting for a follow up but am trying to do some reasearch all of the symptoms i have are indicators of low thyroid but the levels are high according to the blood test
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

Your question is a very good one and I will help you interpret these lab findings in relation to how you are feeling.

If your doctor has told you that your thyroid levels are high, you are likely dealing with a situation of hyperthyroidism or thyroiditis. While you likely have symptoms of fatigue - thyroiditis/parathyroidism can lead to that as well. Hyperthyroidism is classically associated with intolerance to temperature changes, weight loss, rapid heart rate and a jittery feeling. Sometimes, however, patients may experience a multitude of symptoms which do not fit the classic description.

Thyroiditis is sometimes caused by an autoimmune phenomenon where the body's immune system causes an inflammation of the gland, sometimes swelling of the gland (goiter) and the symptoms which can go along with it. Sometimes physicians will do additional testing including a thyroid ultrasound to evaluate the gland.

I think the low calcium level is not related to what is going on with the thyroid. This is usually related to a mild dietary deficiency. A supplementation with some calcium with vitamin D by mouth will usually rectify this. The vitamin D will aid in the absorption of the calcium.

As for the cholesterol - this is largely diet related in most cases. Exercise and weight also play a role in this as well. Finally genetics must be considered. If you have a family history of high cholesterol then it makes it more likely that you will have to deal with that as well. Generally, diet and exercise will improve the cholesterol but sometimes we have to turn to medication to improve the numbers.

I hope these answers have been both informative and helpful for you. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: High thyroid levels, low calcium, high cholesterol. Hyper or hypo thyroid ? 1 hour later
i am in the military and have a fairly decent diet and exercise and have been gaining weight along with the fatigue and just a general not feeling well and im cold all the time i am not sure if its all directly related
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 18 minutes later
Hello again,

I have to say that I am confident that your symptoms are related to the thyroid gland.

There is some degree of dysfunction going on and your physician will determine the mechanism of the dysfunction and the appropriate treatment. Treatment might involve a consultation with an endocrinologist who can assess your thyroid gland and function and help you achieve normal function of the gland again. Rest assured that you will feel better soon when treatment is decided and started. In the meantime - try to remain calm, continue to eat a healthy diet and continue with the exercises every day.

Again I thank you for your question. I remain available if you have additional concerns regarding this.

Dr. Galamaga