High sensitivity to salt, insomnia, pins and needles sensation in feet. Treatment ?

General Surgeon
I am 39 female, about 10 stone.
I have developed a high sensitivity to salt - if I eat anything that has a bit of salt in it at night, I have insomnia and bad pins and needles in my feet. I don't mean excessively salty foods, I mean even cereal etc.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

From your description, I can think of 2 possible explanations:
1. Food allergies- One can developed allergic symptoms to any substances, and salt and cereal are no exception. You may undergo allergy test to find the allergens and avoid allergens if any. I hope allergy test will find the cause and benefit you.
2. Fluid and electrolyte changes- You may get serum sodium & potassium tested along with routine complete blood profile.

A physical examination and the tests will differentiate among the 2 conditions and help you.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”