High risk of HPV. Danger for sexual partner? Is it transmitted through oral sex?

Dermatologist
Question
My girlfriend was recently diagnosed with a high risk form of hpv. What does that mean for me? Do i automatically have it? Can i give it to someone if i do have it? Can it be transmitted through oral sex or even kissing?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 17 hours later

HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) is a viral infection and all viral infections and all viral infections are highly transmittable.

There are more than 100 types of HPV and high risk HPV comprise of a few bunch of the sexually transmittable HPV’s.

These can be easily transmitted with unprotected sex of any kind be it vaginal, rectal or oral.

Once infected the person becomes a new host and can transfer to others.

High risk HPV can lead to cancerous growths in a few infected patients.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Rohit Batra

Follow-up: High risk of HPV. Danger for sexual partner? Is it transmitted through oral sex? 3 hours later
As a male can i get tested for HPV?

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 21 hours later
Dear Kodeman,
Thanks for getting back.
I would like to reassure you that if you don’t have any lesions at present, there is no need for you to worry about the infection.
You can get tested for Human Papilloma Virus in a good laboratory but you would need to tell them that you’d like to get tested for the type of HPV infection you have, (if any) as most people would be infected by some kind of HPV which is not significant in most cases.
Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: High risk of HPV. Danger for sexual partner? Is it transmitted through oral sex? 15 hours later
Not significant? Meaning what?

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later
Dear,

Thanks for your follow up query.

As told earlier there are many types of HPV and only a few can cause malignancy in later life.

Few even don’t cause any visible skin lesions while others can cause papular lesions- verruca plana, or common warts on face, body etc. which are harmless.

Few subtypes of HPV mostly related to genital area might have a malignant potential.

Dr. Rohit Batra