High random sugar, on diet control, taking Glyzid M medication, sugar increased by 50 points. Change in dosage required ?

My father age is 60 and weight 65 height 5.5 had a bypass surgery 3 yes back and at random check say about 8PM in evening his sugar come about 190
He usually take Glyzid M to control his sugar 2 times a day. 2 months before his avg sugar same 8 in evening comes approx 130-160 . Can you pls tell is there reason to worry as his avg sugar increased by 50 pts . I tried to control his diet and he always go for morning walk but still no luck it . should i consult a diabetologist for changing his medicine . pls advise
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 1 hour later

I assume, 8 pm blood sugar is before-dinner blood sugar. It is a little bit on higher side. You should consult a Diabetologist so that he would make appropriate adjustments in the tablets.

Last option would be adding Insulin to the tablets, but my guess is it won't be needed at this point of time. Just adjusting the dose of the tablets should suffice.

Before visiting the Diabetologist, I advise you to monitor following blood sugar values (with a glucometer) and make a chart :

Fasting (empty stomach in the morning).
Pre Lunch (immediately before lunch).
Post lunch (2 hours post lunch).
Pre-dinner (immediately before dinner).
Post-dinner (2 hour post dinner).

If you can maintain the above chart for atleast 3 days before going to the Diabetologist, it would be of great help for him to adjust the dosages.

Also get Hba1c test done in the lab. This test will give average sugar value of last 3 months. This will also help to the Diabetologist for adjusting correct dosages.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: High random sugar, on diet control, taking Glyzid M medication, sugar increased by 50 points. Change in dosage required ? 10 hours later
Dear sir,

I have also checked the morning fasting sugar and it's coming to be 200 . I believe its on a higher side . I want to aak is there any diet which can help in lowering his sugar as I have read in some medical journals that a strict diet under medical supervision of 600 calories for 6 weeks helps in normalising sugar level to a greater extend.

Thanks for the follow up.

The diet you are talking about is for reducing weight. Frankly, diet alone will not help.

In fact, diet as less as 600calories per day might harm him considering his age. His sugars are showing rising trends. 200 fasting sugars is quite high. Please monitor the sugars as per the chart I have suggested.

You will get many surprising values.

This also means, his body is not producing adequate insulin. He probably needs Insulin shots before meals. But once his sugars come under control, he will feel much better.

I suggest you maintain a sugar chart, get Hba1c done from a lab and visit your local Diabetologist.

I wish your father good health.