High random blood sugar level. Suggestive of diabetes?

Do I have diabetes? Yesterday, i checked my blood sugar using glucometer and it came to 280. I do not have any symptoms of diabeters and do regular exercise. I do have asthma and have lot of infection in chest etc.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Normally a random blood sugar reading above 200 even once is strongly suggestive of diabetes.
I would suggest that you visit your prescribe further tests such as
•     Fasting glucose levels
•     Post prandial sugar levels( 2 hours after meals, a sample is taken and glucose levels are ascertained)
•     Glycosylated Haemoglobin (which would tell you about the average levels in the past 2-3 months)

It is also important to realize that infections are difficult to control in patients with uncontrolled diabetes. So, it would be best that you visit your physician at the earliest.

It is good that you are doing regular exercise. Keep up the effort.
I hope this answers your query. I will be happy to take care of any follow up queries that you might have.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.