High pulse rate. Should I go to the doctor immediately?

Hi there,

My heart pulse is 116 should I see medical assistance?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

A normal adult's pulse can be anywhere from 60 to 100 beats per minute. Anything over 100 is technically defined as a tachycardia.

From your symptoms , a few possibilities need to be ruled out.

These include:

1)     Anxiety and stress which you are already suffering from.

2)     Anemia

3)     Hyperthyroidism

4)     Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia

5)     Heart disorders

I suggest you to get it examined from a physician and get your Hb levels, thyroid function tests and an EKG and stress ECHO ruled out. Although from your symptoms, it looks like anxiety and stress may be causing increase in heart rate but these causes should be ruled out first.

In addition to Diazepam, here are some of the other treatment options which you can follow:

1)     When you have such symptoms, breathe slowly through the nose and talk to your family and friends.

2)     Do not take caffeine of alcohol at night just before going to bed.

3)     Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

4)     You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.