High pulse rate. Diagnosed with HHC, type 2 diabetes, bunions in feet. Blood pressure, blood sugar in healthy range. What can I do about the pulse rate?

First of all, thanks for being there and helping us.
I am male, 66 years of age and this past year I've been diagnosed with HHC, then type 2 diabetes, then bunions developed in both feet. Then, DDD. All that instigated my keeping a daily log of everything I eat, monitoring my blood glucose, blood pressure, etc. Although I feel I have my blood glucose and blood pressure in the normal/healthy range, I'm concerned about my heart pulse rate. After researching re: bunions, I asked a podiatrist for surgery to treat my bunions and after a biopsy was told I have severe peripheral neuropathy and therefore a surgical treatment would not be in order and that I just needed to learn to live with the bunion condition. That's very disappointing to me, if it's true there is nothing I can do to treat my bunions.
Anyway, my first question to you is, although I am keeping my BG under control and my blood pressure also, my pulse is regularly high, e.g. high 90's to 103, 107, 109....even when blood pressure is in the near "normal" range.
I have not yet found if my pulse rate is something I need to do something about. What do you say?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 3 hours later

Thanks for sharing your concern,

You have been diagnosed hereditary haemochromatosis (HHC) with diabetes, peripheral neuropathy and degenerative disc disease. I am glad to know that your blood sugar is controlled and even blood pressure is in desirable range.

1. About your pulse rate, rate under 100 beats per minute is considered normal. Moreover a high pulse rate (tachycardia) is not always considered concerning. Nevertheless, the possibilities like heart failure(CHF), Anaemia, Over active thyroid( Thyrotoxicosis), any drug (which you are taking) may be related to your higher recordings. These possibilities need to be excluded by meticulous physical examination and tests.

In the absence of these causes, asymptomatic tachycardia can be controlled with medications.

Please let me know your current treatment and if you are treated for heart failure.

2. Peripheral neuropathy is due to long standing diabetes and DDD (Degenerative disc disease).
In addition vitamin B12 level should be done to find out if that is contributing to neuropathy. A deficient state can be easily corrected.

Hope this information helps; for any other query please ask, I will be happy to help.

With best Regards.
Dr. A. Dubey M.D.