High persisting fever, weak digestion and lethargy. Do I need antibiotics?

Infertility Specialist
I have continued fever- 98.4 to 102 first three days. Now it ranges 98.4 to 100. it is 7th day. Should I start any common antibiotic. I have Nimesulide tablets at home. No other symptoms except Weak Digestion and Lethargy.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

The average normal body temperature taken in the mouth is 37ºC (98.6ºF), but anywhere between 36.5ºC and 37.2ºC (97.7ºF and 99ºF) may be normal. Normal armpit temperatures are 0.2ºC to 0.3ºC lower than this.

A temperature of 38ºC (100.4ºF) or above is usually considered to be a significant fever

Fever is caused by the release of certain chemicals by the immune system, usually as a result of infection or inflammation. This is caused by an infection due to germs such as bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Fever is common with infections of the respiratory (breathing) system, urinary system, or skin. More serious infections such as those that affect the brain, spinal cord, abdomen (stomach), or blood can also cause a fever.

Other causes of fever may include any of the following:

•Allergic reactions, such as in blood transfusions or problems with organ transplants.

•Certain medicines or poisons.

•Diseases or conditions that cause inflammation (swelling), such as rheumatoid arthritis.

•Exposure to heat for a long period of time.

Sometimes, the exact cause of fever may not be known. This may be called fever of unknown origin (FUO).

- Since your fever is not as high as it was, i dont think there is need to worry. You are experiencing the after effects of an episode of fever which will slowly be normal in a couple of days.

- If you are still concerned, Please get the following test done.
1) Urine for culture & sensitivity.
2) Blood culture & sensitivity.
3) Peripheral smear of blood for malarial parasite.
4) Blood for detection of salmonella IgG & IgM titres (typhoid).

- Meanwhile I suggest you take paracetamol tablet with combination of analgesic. Antibiotics may not be needed at this stage as you ar in recovery phase.

- Have good nutritious diet and give yourself adquate rest.

I hope I have answered your queries. Please accept my answer if no more further queries.