High monocytes and WBC. Referred to oncologist. Is it Leukemia?

My best friend was referred to an oncologist due to monocytes high(13) white blood count low(2.8) and platlets at (174) the other readings I don't know. Of course I am concerned. Is there a good chance she has cancer ie: leukemia?Presently she states she has no unusual symptoms. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for the question,

Its is possible that this could represent a primary hematological disorder including some type of leukemia.

In order to better characterize the nature of what is going on, however, a monocyte count.

With such limited detail it is very difficult to speculate on the diagnosis. If you could share some more test results or consultation notes I may be able to provide additional advice.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my response has served to be helpful. Let me know if hyou have any additional concerns.

Dr. Galamaga