High levels of blood urea and creatinine. Will my kidneys be affected?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
my blood urea level is 88 and creatinine is 1.52. i am 66 years old diabetic since 52 ..well under control . now i am scared after seeing the above levels. will my kidneys be afected. any home remedies as it is a very recent reading ?
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Drinking sufficient water and low protein diet Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Going by your age and diabetic status of 13years, it is quite natural for creatinine level to rise. In a normal individual with ageing creatinine level increases by about 0.1mg every 5 years. Your creatinine level of 1.54mg% is acceptable keeping your age and diabetic status in mind. Blood urea of 88mg% could be due insufficient consumption of water and high protein diet. The way to keep the level under control is consumption of food quantity of water preferably 2.5liter per day, consuming a diet low in protein. I would also suggest you drinking one glass of water after boiling leaves of Oxymum Sanctum also known as Holy XXXXXXX - Tulsi in water and drinking it everyday. Wishing you a healthy life. I hope I have answered your query, in case you have doubt Kindly get back to me. Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon

Follow-up: High levels of blood urea and creatinine. Will my kidneys be affected? 8 hours later
I forgot to mention that i get muscle cramps in my legs at night.this is of late. has it got to do with the urea level.what should i do about it

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unrelated to rise in urea Detailed Answer: Namaste Greetings Rise in blood urea has nothing to do with leg cramps. Nocturnal leg cramps is usually due to low calcium and other metabolic abnormalities. I suggest my patients to take calcium supplements before investigating. Also it could be due to decrease in water intake. Hope this helps. WISH you a very good day. Take care Regards Dr Deepak

Follow-up: High levels of blood urea and creatinine. Will my kidneys be affected? 35 hours later
Doctor I am sorry but i have to seek your help again. In spite of your assurances I am totally worried and altho i thought i will be relaxed i am still suffering from a kind of depression and am scared.This has been so ever since i saw the readings of creatinine and urea last month. I did not mention it as i felt your answer will keep me cool.I have full support from my family and i have trust in God but the fear of kidney failure recurs off and on and i am not getting sleep. I try to distract myself but am not able to for long. should i tell this to my doc and ask for a pep up pill.will i end up as a psychic case. Please advise me doc

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is no reason for worrying Detailed Answer: It is quite natural phenomenon for such a reaction and it's totally normal. There is no reason to worry. Just be clarified of the fact that is is just a laboratory value and does not completely reflect the status of kidney. You should definitely bring it to the notice of your physician. All that you presently need is Reassurance. Wishing you a healthy life Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon