High leukocyte count. Angioplasty, diabetes, high BP. Heart-related medicines. Infection?

Hi Doctor, My father (65 yrs,5.7 tall and weighs 103kg) had undergone angioplasty just one month back. Just after angioplasty, we observed that his leukocyte count was high at 16.4 thousand/mm3. In the last report, which i got today only, it jumped to 19.2 thousand/mm3. Additionally, his Eosinophils is showing as 32.60%. I have consulted several doctors as of now, but no one has been able to figure out why infection is on higher side
and increasing. My father is taking heart related medicines. He also suffers from Diabeties, hyper-tension and high blood pressure. Please help me with some advice here.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 3 hours later

Increase in leukocyte count after angioplasty is not to be alarmed with. And just because leukocyte count is increased / increasing doesn't mean infection. You must understand that though the main function of leukocyte is combating infection there count also increases in conditions of tissue damage.

There is something called re-perfusion injury. Let me explain it to you. When the blood supply to a tissue is cut off the tissue undergoes death this is due to hypo-perfusion (meaning decreased blood supply). When blood supply to the tissue is only partially compromised but fully not cut off they undergo certain changes (ischemic changes). The strange thing here is when the blood supply to these tissue is restored instead of improving some part actually dies. This is called re-perfusion injury.

In your father's case when angioplasty was done and the blood supply restored the to the ischemic tissue they would have undergone death. So in order to clear these dead tissues there could have an been an increase in leukocyte count.

Also you have said their has been an increase in eosinophils percentage has also increased. Eosinophils are increased in conditions of allergy. It could possibly be that the dead tissue by themselves could have caused an allergic response thereby increasing eosinophil count. Other possibility could be that the material used in angioplasty could have triggered the allergic response which are rare possibility because all these materials are immunologically inert.

These transitional increase in leukocyte count and eosinophil should subside on its own with time. As long as your father's general health is improving you need not worry about that.

And also see to that your father takes all the prescribed medications at regular intervals.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.