High hypertension. Is the Medifast diet responsible for increased blood pressure?

I am currently on the Medifast diet, I have hypertension and my doctor put me on 5mg of bystolic medication. My hypertension is still very high 144/94, sometimes 168/98. Is the medifast diet meals, along with there omega 3, 1200mg, b6 (100mg) and b12 1000 mg lozenges and essential vitamins rising my blood pressure.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question here .

First of all, I think you might benifet by coming to the realisation that "Hypertension" is a very over-treated "disease". These expensive and hugely profitable drugs, as you are now taking, are being pushed at doctors by the pharmaceutical industry for the benefit of their share holders. Just research that scenario for yourself.

For example, by how much has the introduction for these antihypertensive drugs extended human life expectancy? Not by much I think research will tell you.

And secondly, 144/94, or for that matter, 168/98, are not, as you say "very high". If you take into consideration the "White Coat Effect", your blood pressure readings are in fact normal.

One way to determine true hypertension from situational hypertension is to carry out a 24 hour blood pressure monitoring. If you are still worried, have this done. My guess is that it will be normal and that in-fact you do not need any BP treatment.

Please keep well.
Follow-up: High hypertension. Is the Medifast diet responsible for increased blood pressure? 3 hours later
I must say, I am amazed that you say this, I'm being constantly told by even the personnel at Medifast my pressure is high. It is a relief to know this. Please correct me if I'm wrong, so the Medifast B6, B12 and fish oil vitamins are not elevating my blood pressure at all.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 8 hours later
Thank you for your follow up question.

I don't think that your Medifast B6 etc is playing any role in your supposed hypertension. It is neither elevating nor lowering it.

I would also like to emphasize that stress is a well documented elevator of BP. If you have a lot of stress in your life, try to minimise it. Or better still get rid of it altogether out of your life.

Good health!