High grade glioma. Okay to take TDS injection of Dexona?

Neurologist, Surgical
my sister is suffering from high grade glioma..Dr advised her to take TDS injection of 4 mg dexona ? is it ok.what is side effect of it ?
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Stroke
Follow-up: High grade glioma. Okay to take TDS injection of Dexona? 17 minutes later
Docters advised me to avoid for operation.because its right temporal.what's your opinion,,
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later
Dear Friend,

Dexona is routinely used in treatment of brain tumors pre and post operatively to control edema around brain tumors. What I am interested is has she been operated and biopsy taken or not because standard mode of treatment is surgery followed by chemotherapy if patient is fit for surgery.

Side effects of dexona are mainly if you use it for prolonged duration, that is infection, ulceration in stomach, osteoporosis, weight gain etc.

With regards to right temporal location it is not a contraindication to surgery, but whether we can remove it completely or not depends upon size of tumor. In addition, whether to undergo any procedure patient’s general condition should be fit for surgery if she is fit she should undergo surgery because that is one way to ascertain the grade of tumor and reduce its size for chemo or radiotherapy to be effective.

You can send me images to guide you regarding extent of tumor. Gliomas are routinely operated by us though extent of surgery and risks vary depending on size and location of tumor. Just because a particular doctor is hesitating to operate doesn’t mean you should not offer patient the exact line of treatment associated with Neurosurgery but also you should be ready to understand risks associated with Neurosurgery.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Vineet saggar
Follow-up: High grade glioma. Okay to take TDS injection of Dexona? 10 hours later
I have uploaded the three MRI Reports. first report was taken on 5 th july. 2nd on 31 Jul and Last one on 11 Sep.2012. Please advise about her present state of condition .Doctors over here are giving her glycerol syrup and dexona injection along with some other medicines . Some times she is very normal but in contrast she always have confusion regarding day and night.She doesn't have any effect on her memory.Due to her last attack her left leg and arm has become weak which is having slow improvement by exercise. She is even taking ayurvedic tibbaten medicine from Dr.Yeshi dhonden from Dharmshala from last ten days.Kindly give your opinion regarding my problem .
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 1 hour later
Dear friend,
Your mothers tumour is already growing. I think you should not wait for more. You would be wasting time. In fact you have already wasted a lot of time. It is already causing mass effect , if you dont start treatment now patient can relapse into coma if pressure increases further. Steroids can reduce swelling around tumour only they have no effect on tumour cells. Though toumor has grown to a size where it is difficult to remove it completely but if ur mother is fit to undergo surgery get her operated to decrease mass effect and size of tumour and give her radiotherapy and chemotherapy. She is confused because she is having raised intracranialpressure.

Do not waste time further.