High fever,red gums,swollen lip

Oncologist
Question
MY TWO AND A HALF YEAR OLD HAD 102 FEVER YESTERDAY AND HAS VERY RED GUMS AND A SWOLLEN UPPER LIP TODAY WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Follow-up: High fever,red gums,swollen lip 4 minutes later
should i bring her to a dr or a dentist on monday?
Follow-up: High fever,red gums,swollen lip 1 minute later
and is there anything i could do tomorrow to help her until we see a dr or dentist on monday?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

Generally we have to assume a virus or bacteria triggered these symptoms. As for the swelling of the gums and lip - this may be associated as part of an inflammatory response to the infection. Another possibility would be some kind of allergic reaction to a food or perhaps a plant or insect bite. In the absence of any obvious agent that could have triggered an allergic response, however, I would still consider an infectious cause for the fever.

I trust the fever has improved at this point possibly with some tylenol or ibuprofen. If the fever is still high as 102 I suggest you take your child to the physician as soon as possible. If the fever is down to 99 or less then I think you could continue supportivr measures - hydrating well and close observation until Monday when you can visit the pediatrician.

If you notice the lips to be more swollen or cracked with sores - I advise you take your child to an immediate care center as soon as possible.

I hope this reply has been both adequate and informative for you. Should you have additional questions regarding this I am available to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga