High fever,diarrhea,shivering,tylenol

Hello, My son is 20 months old he had very high fever (39,4 C)and diarrhea. He was shivering an hour ago ( Temp 38.5 c) I gave him Tylenol he's slightly better now, but temperature is 39.3 c. Should I worry about his shivering? and what should I do to lower his temperature?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Follow-up: High fever,diarrhea,shivering,tylenol 22 minutes later
If the shivering returns what should be done ?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

High grade fever is usually associated with shivering. Indeed his current temperature is suggestive of high grade fever where the cause is either virus or bacteria.

Infants under the age of 5 years are prone to develop febrile seizures. Since your son is currently 20 months old and his temperature is still high, I suggest you to consult a doctor as soon as possible.

As you plan to go to the ER, (if the shivering has reduced) you could try tipid sponging (wiping the forehead, neck, armpits, body, groin and limbs with a sponge / cloth soaked in water that is at room temperature). This will help in reducing the body temperature and prevents the chances of seizures.

I do not suggest you to wait for awhile. Please go to a doctor for appropriate treatment.

Hope my answer is adequate and informative. I am available to answer follow up queries, should you have any.