High fever with cough and headache, fatigue. Widal test positive. Took Zifi, levofloxin and Ofloxin. Fever persisting

hi, i am XXXXXXX from jammu,about 20 days back i had severe cough and high fever 102 F. I took antibiotic Zifi cv200 for 8 days although fever dropped to 99 F but cough persisted .i consulted a doctor and he advised to take levofloxin for 5 days along with cough syrup. after three days i got somewhat relief from cough but temperature betweeen 98.7F to 99.5F persisted.About three days back i got Widal test done and it was positive at 1:320 again took advice from the doctor and he has given Ofloxin for 5 days ,am taking the same but no improvement till date.Still fever in the same range is persisting accompanied by head ache and fatigue . Please advise
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Since you are having a persistent fever even after taking antibiotics for more than two weeks, a resistant infection is a likely cause.
It is advisable to first have the investigations for fever like ESR, complete blood count, blood culture, blood test for malarial parasite, x-ray chest and sonography to exclude any of the pathologies associated with fever. If negative, then viral infection should be explored.
You need to consult your physician for all the investigations so that an appropriate treatment can be started according to the blood culture report.
Till that time, keep yourself well hydrated and wear cotton clothes and have a diet XXXXXXX in vitamins and minerals like soups, broths etc.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: High fever with cough and headache, fatigue. Widal test positive. Took Zifi, levofloxin and Ofloxin. Fever persisting 2 hours later
sir, if i have tested positive for typhoid then should not the treatment be for typhoid and what precautions should i take and is the present antibiotic i.e Ofloxacin the desirable choice
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Your widal test is positive but the fever is not subsiding on taking antibiotics. This is suggestive of a resistant infection. In such cases, it is best to choose a broad spectrum antibiotic based on your blood culture report.
Other causes of fever also need to be ruled out by appropriate tests.
Ofloxacin is helpful in typhoid fever only in uncomplicated cases.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.