High fever, reports show positive for chikungunya. Which medicines are available for this?

She is constantly getting high fever of around 101-103. the reports are showing chikungunya positive. Currently, she is under medical observation. I need to understand

1.     Whether there is any other medication available. As per doctors, there is no special treatment of this. it will be treated like any other viral. The current prescription is attached.
2.     In this, normally, joint aches. But there is no joint ache
3.     In CT scan, The appendix is large comparatively, can that be the cause of the fever.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand that you must be worried, as chikungunya is relatively new, and not many people have had it. But, do not worry, chikungunya is like any other viral infection, which has its symptoms, and needs to be cared for palliatively (which is treating the symptoms, and making the patient feel more comfortable). Now let me answer your specific questions.

1. There is no specific treatment for chikungunya. As your doctor has already mentioned, the treatment includes relieving symptoms which occur. Do not worry, chikungunya is not XXXXXXX and is the least of our worries right now.

Although fever, chills, headache and rigors are all associated with chikungunya; abdominal pain is not usually seen in case of chikungunya. The abdominal pain is the main cause for concern right now.

The abdominal pain in the patient's case, is clearly because of the appendix. But, the involvement of the lymph nodes makes this look complicated.

2. Yes, joint and muscle pain is usually seen in chikungunya, but it can be mild or absent. You should know that one individual might not have all the symptoms of a particular disease/infection/disorder.

Another fact, is that the blood test chikungunya IgM is positive. IgM is the sign of a new infection. Which means, this infection has just started, and so not all symptoms might be present right now, and there is a chance that the joint pain can come a few days later also; as this infection gets a little older

3. Yes, fever can be caused due to the present condition of the appendix. But, as the blood test for chikungunya IgM is positive, this can also contribute to the fever

The main concern here is that the appendix seems to be quite swollen and also the involvement of the lymph nodes around it. This is not very good news. Let me tell you why.

The involvement of many ileocaecal lymph nodes normally indicates the presence of a tumour or even cancer; or infections like tuberculosis(more serious forms) which are slowly progressing and spreading. This will have to be looked into, elaborately.

I hope I have provided you with the information you were looking for. Let the doctor's further investigate the appendix, to rule out/diagnose the worst. Please be supportive in this aspect. It is best we rule this out, or diagnose this early so we can treat it earlier.

Do write back to me for any further assistance, I assure you I will provide you with all the information you need.

My best wishes are with the patient.