High fever on and off, headache on forehead, pain in eyes

Orthopaedic Surgeon
10 yr old has had a 100.3 fever on and off all week. Has gone as high as 103.5 on night but not since. 100.3 on one temple and 99.6 on the other. Has a headache across the forehead all the while, but this morning her eyes hurt when she moves them from side to side or up and down. No other symptoms and has been very healthy before this. Missing school again today
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Hi there.

Has she suffered from any trauma to face, nose ?

Does she have blurring of vision, disturbance of consciousness ?

Is there any discharge from the eyes or nose ?

Any sore throat, body pain, bleeding spots in skin or in urine or stool ?

According to the clinical history provided it appears that she is suffering from infection which could be the flu, viral infection.

Kindly look for any bleeding points in the skin, blood in urine or stool as certain viral infections can cause the same.

Give her a balanced diet with plenty of proteins and fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Keep her well hydrated with plenty of water. Let her drink as much fresh fruit juice as she likes as this will help tackle viral infections.

Certain viral infections can cause pain in the eyes while moving the eyeballs but it is necessary to rule out any deeper infections like Cavernous sinus infection. This needs to be ruled out by her Doctor if her consciousness if deteriorating, kindly keep a watch for this.

Kindly perform Tepid sponging to bring down her fever otherwise there will be complications. Use a wet sponge or cloth soaked in room temperature water and wipe gently over her forehead, neck, armpits and groin. This will reduce her body temperature quickly. She can be given Acetaminophen syrup for relief from fever, under medical supervision.

If her fever is not coming down with above methods and her condition not getting better, it would be best to consult her Pediatrician to rule out certain infections by proper investigations like bloodwork and imaging modalities, as mentioned and also go for stronger treatment which may include antibiotics.

Kindly respond to my queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.