High fever, muscle ache, congealed pus and blood in sinus. Have flu. Should I go to doctor?

ENT Specialist
I just broke out with flu sx 24 hours ago. I have a high fever of 102, severe muscle aches, the works. However, I am confused about the congealed pus and blood in my sinuses. It will take forever to blow it out of my nose and it is always at least a dime-sized mass of dark XXXXXXX mucus, blood, and white pus. It seems a little rapid to be a bacterial infection. Should I go to my doctor for abx?
Also, there are what appear to be pus pockets on either side of the soft pallate behind the tonsils. There is some pus on the tonsils, but not much.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Sinuses are normally filled with air, but there are certain pathological conditions in which sinuses become blocked and filled with fluid, mucus or germs like bacteria, viruses or fungi ultimately leading to an infection. Inflamed sinus / mucous are fragile and can bleed occasionally especially when there is forceful act like blowing / sneezing.

Sinus blockage can occur due to -
- Flu like illness
- Allergic rhinitis
- Nasal polyps (small growths in the lining of the nose)
- Deviated nasal septum i.e. DNS (a shift in the nasal cavity)

Considering your case, you have a history of flu in the recent past (history of high grade fever, muscle aches, fatigue) with nasal stuffiness and thick XXXXXXX nasal discharge in the form of pus and mucus locally - all these symptoms points towards the possibility of "acute sinusitis".

You can take certain measures that will help you in your problem like -
1. Taking plenty of fluids which helps in thinning of the secretions
2. XXXXXXX steam inhalation thrice a day
2. Increase the humidity in the air with a humidifier
3. Use of saline nasal sprays
4. Antihistamines can reduce the amount of mucus
5. Avoid smoking if any

I also suggest you take a course of antibiotic such as broad spectrum cephalosporin or augmentin after consulting your physician. It would take care of bacterial contamination and faster recovery. Besides you may need some diagnostic tests like study of the mucus culture, nasal endoscopy, X-rays to know which sinus is involved, CT scan of the sinuses and blood hemogram.

Hope this suffices. Let me know if you have any other help.

Wish you a speedy recovery.