High fever, headache, nausea, gums-swollen and bleeding. Tested negative for strep. Diagnosed with pharyngitis, stomatitis. Suggest course of treatment

Dec 2012

My 15 year old daughter has had a 102-103.8 degree fever for the last four days along with severe headaches and nausea. Now her top gums are swollen and blackish color with bleeding on both the front and back. She tested negative for Strep two days ago but all symptoms seem to be getting worse. The NP diagnosed her with Pharyngitis and Stomatitis and gave her a Magic Mouthwash mix but nothing helps. Should I take her back into the Pediatrician o just let this run its course?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to be able to help you answer your health query.
From your description it is clear that your daughter is having an infection and with her running a temperature of up to 103.8, then the possibility of her running a bacteria infection is likely. Even though strep is the most common germ that causes gingivitis (red swollen and bleeding gums), pharyngitis etc, other bacteria may be responsible. I suggest you get her back to the pediatrician who can run some few test (to determine signs of bacteria infection), blood tests, CRP etc and also review again (possibly doing a otoscopic exams). It is highly recommended that she rule out other bacterial causes before considering to allow the symptoms to rule it course. Also advised for her to be put on antipyretics (choice drugs will be ketoprofen/ibuprofen syrup as they have both antiinflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic properties).
You need to check her fever again, if dropping, then it is likely that the situation is under control and you are just too worried for nothing and will have to allow recovery to occur on its own.

Hope this was useful information and let me know if you got any further questions.
Dr. Nsah