High fasting sugar levels, autoimmune, genetic problems. Diabetic ?

Hi, I have been diagnosed for diabetes. My problem is high fasting sugar level in the morning (in 130s) and I am 5'10" tall and weigh 148 pounds. I am a Korean. According to little information I have, I should consult an endocrinologist for possible causes such as autoimmune or genetic problems. Thank you very much. Please advise. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 7 hours later

Thanks for the query

I have gone through the case profile and feel that FBG around 130 mg% is quite normal for a patient of 75 yrs for following reasons:-
1. As per American guidelines normal cut off for FBG is 130 mg%; European guidelines do insist for lower FBG with 110 mg% as cut off point.
2. More important is Post prandial blood glucose since one remains in prandial state for approximately 18 hours every day and it is the PPBG which influences A1c more than FBG.
3. When A1c is close to 7% A1c is influenced upto 70% by PPBG and only 30% by FBG

Since you have not mentioned anything about your current treatment especially A1c, I find difficult to suggest some addition to treatments or suggest the treating doctor.

Let me know about the them as I can help you in my follow up replies.

Follow-up: High fasting sugar levels, autoimmune, genetic problems. Diabetic ? 4 hours later
My last A1c tested about 2 months ago was 6.2%.

Answered by Dr. L K Shankdhar 3 hours later

A1c of 6.2% is excellent and happy to know. Hence I sustain my prervious stand that the treatment being taken is sufficent. It is not necessary to know whether the blood sugar is because of autoimmune or genetic at this age.