High fasting blood sugar value. Family history of diabetes. Guidance?

Hi..I m 26 years old . Today i thought of doing my sugar test my fasting immmediately after waking up was 105 and after 2 hr (having sweet biscuit and bread ) was 120. MY maternal grand mother had diabetes. Pls guide i m very worried.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 28 minutes later

A normal fasting blood glucose target range for an individual without diabetes is 70-100 mg/dL (3.9-5.6 mmol/L). A level of 100-125mg/dL means you have impaired fasting glucose, a type of prediabetes. This increases your risk for type 2 diabetes.

You should get a HbA1C test done. The hemoglobin A1C test is a simple blood test that reflects the average blood sugar for the past 3 to 4 months. It can be used to diagnose prediabetes or diabetes.

Try the following lifestyle measures to avoid developing diabetes:

1)     Try to lose some weight.

2)     Moderate exercise for 30 minutes a day, such as cycling, swimming, or brisk walking, helps prevent diabetes.

3)     Healthy meals that mix a balance of low-fat protein, vegetables, and whole grains can help prevent prediabetes from becoming diabetes. Calorie control, portion sizes (no super-sizing), and low-sugar, low-carbohydrate diet should be eaten.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: High fasting blood sugar value. Family history of diabetes. Guidance? 47 hours later

My height is 5'6 and my weight is 66 kg
i go for 35 min of walk daily

My parents dont have diabetes, nor does any one in my father family has its only my maternal grandmother had.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

The lifestyle of the 21st century predisposes us to the problem of type 2 diabetes.

Hence, it doesn't necessarily occur in people who have got the family history;

however, the ones with a family history definitely are more at risk.

I'll suggest you to strictly follow a diabetic diet and continue the brisk walking;

albeit, you need to increase the duration to 1 hour.

I sincerely hope that helps.

Best Wishes