High eosinophil count, CBC & others tests normal. What caused raised eosinophil?

My doctor said that my esinophil came back 7.5 and that normal is between 1 and 5. He said all the other tests for the CBC were in normal range. He is going to check the esinophil in a few weeks. What causes a higher esinophil? Everything I search for on the internet comes back alarming. My doctor said it is nothing to be too concerned about.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

I can understand your concern for raised eosinophil count.

Eosinophilia is raised eosinophil count which can be due to many reasons. The commonest cause is of allergies like asthma, hay fever, drug allergies, food allergies or allergic skin diseases. Even parasitic diseases may cause eosinophilia. Other causes are systemic autoimmune diseases and malignancies.

You should get the eosinophil count checked once again after 1-2 weeks. If they are still raised then additional investigations need to be done. These include complete blood count, chest x-ray, urinalysis, liver and kidney function tests, and serologic tests for parasitic and connective tissue diseases.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.