High end of autistic spectrum. Taking risperidon. Having loss of bowel and urine control. Prognosis?

Hi I have a brother that suffers from loss of bowel and urine control. His carers and Incontinence nurse are suggesting Minirin to control the high quantities of urine that he releases throughout the night and late afternoon. XXXXXXX does not have any means of communication - he is Autistic at the high end of the spectrum, he is 57, and we have him on mood stabilising tablets (busprione and respridone) so as to minimise any outbursts of challenging behaviour - I am concerned that the possible side effects that I have read about this drug will impact on him more serverely than we will actually know. What is your opinion as taking him to a specialist doctor in New Zealand can be a lengthy wait.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 12 minutes later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I understand that your brother is autistic on high end spectrum and is already on risperidon and buspiron. These things suggest that the usual behavioral therapy that is possible with normal adults and children with such kinds of problems will not be possible for him. In such cases Minirin (Desmopressin) is a good alternative to reduce the urinary output if it is in excess. Autism is not a contraindication for desmopressin . Moreover the side effects are not very common with the drug, and even if present they are very mild as headache, flush, flu like symptoms and not much to worry about. Only make sure that he does not take excess of water while on desmopressin.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
Thanks and regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy