High cholestrol. Chances of heart attack ?

Hi. Myself XXXXXXX Age 36yrs. Yesterday only i have checked my blood ( Lipid Profile ). My Total Cholesterol is291, HDL Cholestrol 48, Triglycides 212, LDL 201, VLDL 42, Cholestol/HDL ratio 6.1 & LDL/HDL Ratio 4.2.
Can u suggest me wat should i do ? one of my friend give me TORVASON-10 of Unison Pharmaceuticals. I seen all my cholestrol lever is above High level. Is there chances of Heart Attack in 5 to 10 yrs ? my email id is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 55 minutes later

Yes, you are right your lipids are high.

Looking to the reports
S.Choleterol, triglycerides and ldl is high.

All this are known as bad cholesterol and HDL only is known as good cholesterol. The most important thing for you is to plan your diet well and do regular physical activity.

Important part is one can not treat reports, one has to treat patient. It is better that you visit your family physician or physician in your city and get your self examined.

One has to look for things in general like your blood pressure, weight, life style, family history etc. Then only it can be decided that whether straight away medicines are needed or you can try with exercise and diet control. All this things mentioned above also decided your risk of developing future cardiac problems.

In general please do following:

Do regular exercise: Minimum 30-40 minutes regular exercise is must per day.Walking, cycling etc are good exercise.
Plan your diet well. Avoid junk foods, cut down sweets; too much of tea-coffee, cold drinks etc.
Have plenty of fruits and salads in your diet.
Watch your weight and maintain it well.

Do keep regular follow up with your doctor.

Please do not take any medicines on your own.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask, in case of no further query please accept the answer.

Wishing you happy and healthy life.