High cholesterol, weight loss, exercise, glucose level high. Medication required ?

My cholesterol is 279, HDL 39, LDL 202, trigycerides 188, non HDL 240. The past 6 months I have been exercising 5 days a week and I am loosing weight.
glucose level 287. Lab work was done Wednesday and I see the doctor Tuesday. Do you think he will put me on medicine? What type?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

From the test reports, your cholesterol levels are on a higher side. And a blood glucose level of 287mg% is also very high even if it is taken after meals.

After you see your physician, it is his personal assessment after complete examination to choose the best medicine for you.

It is best to start the medicines as soon as possible both for raised blood glucose and cholesterol levels so as to prevent any long term complications.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Follow-up: High cholesterol, weight loss, exercise, glucose level high. Medication required ? 10 hours later
What medicines would you prescribe? I know there are so many types of cholesterol medications and glucose medicine.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I would definitely start on oral hypoglycemics like Metformin to keep blood sugar under control. IT helps in your weight loss also.

If I were your doctor I would wait for 3 months and recheck your lipid profile provided if you have a definite plan to continue your weight loss and exercise.

If not I would choose statins first out of the list of cholesterol medications after checking your liver enzymes.

Lifestyle modifications have equal importance along with medicines. Finally it is upto your doctor and you to choose after discussing the merits and demerits of each class of medicines.

Wish you Good Health.