High cholesterol, high LDL, low HDL. Am I at high risk? Can walnuts bring the levels down? Advice.

Question
I am 34 years old male. Healthy.
4 months ago I did quit smoking and gained 4-5 kilos weight.
I am 1.72 m and 78 kilos.
I did not exersize now a year...
No heart problems in family.
In March I had gamma GT on 75 and had mild fatty liver.. But after not drinking alcohol and following a diet, the gamma GT became normal but I did not have any ultrasound for liver done so I dont know if I still have MILD fatty liver.

Today i got results of my first cholesterol blood test and THE results are in mmol/l

Cholesterol. 6.8. Mmol/l
Ldl. 5
Hdl. 0.94
Cholesterol / hdl ratio 7.3

I am little worried all the time. Does this cholesterol level put me on risk now to have heart problems? Or dies it block blood vessels?

I stopped smoking 4 months ago and I gained weight. I was 73 and I became 78 kg now.

Sure I immediatly started eating fish and walnuts XXXXXXX tea, vigitables, fruit...etc... I will only eat meat one time a week and the other days I will eat Chicken and more fish. so like 3-4 days fish and 1-2 Chikken and one day small piece of meat.
I also eat now Becel Pro Active products where is written that they low the LDL level of cholesterol.
Also I started walking half an hour a day. So something like 2 km per day.

My questions are:

1- Can I have these levels from the last 3 or 4 months when I did not care about my diet?
2- Do these levels put me on a high risk now?
3- Does wallnuts bring your Cholesterol down or is it just to use to fill stomach?
4- What are your advices?
5- My doctor did not give me medications and also did not send me for check ups. Can my cholesterol values become normal from this stage? And in how many months if I keep going on this way?
6- I reduced my Gamma GT and all liver values are fine. Can I still have the MILD fatty liver?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Cholesterol
Follow-up: High cholesterol, high LDL, low HDL. Am I at high risk? Can walnuts bring the levels down? Advice. 4 minutes later

And I have now more than 2 weeks little pain at my chest. My doctor says it is not cholesterol related as he did measure my blood pressure and listned to my heart. He says these are mussles.

5 years ago I had a heart cardiology test (Cycle) and my heart was normal.

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

LDL is high. It should be between 2.5 to 3.3
Cholesterol is high. Normal 6.1
HDL is low. Ideal 1.3 to 1.4

It is possible that your levels are high since 3-4 months.

Yes. Low HDL especially does as much as high LDL and Cholesterol.

Yes, it does help but not alone.

4- What are your advices?

You are doing the lifestyle/diet/exercise nicely. Cut out chicken too. And only flat fishes/not the fatty ones.

I understand. Yes, for a certain period of observation with the lifestyle changes, the levels will show a drop. But, later in about 3-4 months after a repeat lipid profile the levels still remain so/increase then drugs would be tried. Your doctor is well on track.

No, I don't think so. GGT is a reliable test. And mild fatty liver does not have any adverse clinical signs. As time goes by with your continued keeping away from alcohol and smoking - the fatty changes gradually disappear.

My additional advise:
You are perfectly fine especially with no family history. I would doubt if you would ever need medications for lipid derangements. You should do pretty well with all the good changes you have done in your life. Continue so and you should be fine soon.
Yes, lipid levels does have a bearing on the heart and blood vessels - but that's got to be long standing and those continually neglecting lifestyles over a period. Not 3-4 months like you.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Follow-up: High cholesterol, high LDL, low HDL. Am I at high risk? Can walnuts bring the levels down? Advice. 1 hour later

Which standrards are the following?

{LDL is high. It should be between 2.5 to 3.3
Cholesterol is high. Normal 6.1
HDL is low. Ideal 1.3 to 1.4}

My doctor mentioned the following:
LDL XXXXXXX 3.5
Cholesterol XXXXXXX 5
HDL between 0.9 and 2
and I found those on other pages on internet also.

{2- Do these levels put me on a high risk now?

Yes. Low HDL especially does as much as high LDL and Cholesterol.}

(What kind of danger do I have immediatly? So I can expect a heart attack from these levels now?)

{You are doing the lifestyle/diet/exercise nicely. Cut out chicken too. And only flat fishes/not the fatty ones.}

Fatty fishes are having much Omega 3 so my doctor adviced to also eat faty fishes..

At the end, I am confuzed.

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 4 hours later

My values are from a clincal biochemistry textbook. And values are arbitrary and would depend on the laboratory method/equipment used etc and mild variations are normal. Hence a range is given always, not a single value.

What kind of danger do I have immediatly? So I can expect a heart attack from these levels now?

Risk is stratified based on the increments of values above or below normal. Risks include atherosclerosis, Coronary vascular disease, stroke etc.
No, you will not get a heart attack now.

Don't get the words out of context between your doctor and me.
By fatty fish - I meant fishes XXXXXXX in fats, more in omega 3 fatty acids.
You can check with any authority in the type of fishes low on fats and XXXXXXX on omega 3. I mentioned of this earlier too.

I answered your questions by the count. And I am ready to answer more.
I do not know of the reason of your confusion.

Sincerely,