High cholesterol, done blood test. How to lower cholesterol?

Hi, I am 29 yrs old and 5'1 and 168lbs. Got my blood test results back today and my total cholesterol is 212...hdl is 38 and ldl is 145. How bad is this and what can I do to bring down bad cholesterol. Also my eos % is 1, what does that mean?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
From your reports, your total cholesterol is only borderline raised but HDL levels are low. LDL (145) is borderline high.
If I were your doctor I would have chosen statins first out of the list of cholesterol medications after checking your liver enzymes
Lifestyle modifications have equal importance along with medicines.
To increase your HDL you can start exercising regularly, stop alcohol and smoking.
To decrease the LDL levels-
1. reduce saturated fat intake
2.     Maintain good body composition
3.     Increase dietary fiber
4.     Increase aerobic exercise
Finally it is best to consult your doctor to help you in choosing the best cholesterol lowering agent.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: High cholesterol, done blood test. How to lower cholesterol? 1 hour later
He is giving me 3 to 6 months to get it under control before medicine, cause I don't want to take any more pills?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes you can give lifestyle modifications a trial before actually starting taking the pills. Do reduce your fat intake, maintain an ideal weight. Taking a fiber XXXXXXX diet with regular aerobics schedule might help you.
Wishing you an early recovery.