High cholesterol, done HDL, LDL and TRIG, mitral valve prolapse, anxiety. Heart attack?

I am a women, about to turn 60 years old. My cholesterol level is 310. HDL=64 and LDL=210, TRIG=110. I have had a stess test, EKG and echo. I do have slight foot injury, had to have major surgery and have not exercised in about three years. I have gained 45 lbs. Can I safely lower my cholesterol with diet and exercise? I don't want to go on any medication if I don't have to, I will do whatever it takes. I have so much anxiety around this issue right now, everyday I think I'm having a heart attack.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 28 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Your cholesterol levels seem to be very high and definitely they need to be controlled. Diet and lifestyle modification help a lot in lowering the levels and medications are not a cure for it but just help in lowering the levels. Diet and exercise can help in lowering the levels up to 20%.

Some suggestions for you:
1. Resume moderate physical activity.
2. Daily brisk walk of at least half an hour is very essential.
3. Avoid smoking and alcohol.
4. Take diet low in saturated fat.
5. Opt for lots of fresh fruits,veggies and salads in the meals.
6. After getting up in the morning take 3 to 4 cloves of garlic with warm water.
7. Drink lots of water.
After 2 months of following all the suggestions get a repeat test done and if there is no reduction then you might require medications for prevention of other issues.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query.
Follow-up: High cholesterol, done HDL, LDL and TRIG, mitral valve prolapse, anxiety. Heart attack? 1 hour later
So if the most I can bring down my levels is 20% with diet and exercise alone, that still leaves my numbers higher than normal. I will say, most of my life my HDL levels have been pretty high. In 2007, my Total was 266. HDL=104, LDL 150 and TRIG=61. If I bring my total numbers down 20% from 310 and my HDL level is higher, will this be enough? The fact that I have had recent tests (stress, EKG, Echo,) that came out fine, does that mean I have time to get these numbers down? I'm a little scared right now.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 8 hours later

Thanks for follow up

If the cholesterol levels have been constantly on the higher side and they were much elevated 4 years back also then I must say that you require medications for bringing them down along with diet restriction and exercise. Once the levels are lowered then you can control it by diet and exercise. It is pretty good that other test reports are normal but having increased lipid values puts you on risk.
I was on an impression that your levels have suddenly increased and then diet and exercise would not have given great results in a short span.

Wishing you Good Health