High cholesterol. Treating with supplements. Has high BP. Serious? Be concerned?

my husband is 36 doesnt smoke.he had alittle bit high cholseterol due to family but treating it with supplements and seems to be doing pretty good but he checked his blood pressure and it is 127 over 90 is this considered high
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding your primary concern.

The blood pressure reading what you have reported is mildly elevated. I would be more interested to see a long-term blood-pressure monitoring chart in order to really see what the average blood pressure is during the day

Ideally the top number should be no higher than 120 or 125. The bottom number should be below 80 if possible. Most people have some difficulty with achieving this goal but this is what is recommended by many medical authorities.

As far as what I would recommend at this point there are a few considerations. The first thing I would consider would be a mild degree of weight loss. If he can lose five or 6 pounds this might have a significant impact on his blood pressure. Also regular aerobic exercise five days per week will generally help to improve the blood pressure over a long period of time.

I want to reassure you that the blood pressure reading which you gave me is not worrisome or life-threatening. At the same time I think he should do everything possible to optimize his blood pressure.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you've found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert